• Justice and strength statue

    We are recognised by individual organisations, including the UK Register of Expert Witnesses and the Expert Witness Institute, as competent experts and our surveyors are well respected by local and national law firms. We understand the Civil and Criminal Procedure Rules of the Court and can act as a sole party expert or a single joint expert.

    Sometimes it is possible to resolve a dispute without going to Court. Getting expert advise early is critical, as is choosing a firm of surveyors, which is up-to-date with constant changes to complex property legislation.

    Building and construction disputes

    If expert advice is sought early enough, these types of disputes can often be satisfactorily resolved without going to Court. Often the breakdown in the relationship between a builder and his client centres around standards of workmanship or the costs of works. This can be avoided by using professional involvement in the contract.

  • Conifer hedge

    Boundary disputes

    'Love thy neighbour' is a much harder principle to put into practice once a boundary dispute is underway. Croft Surveyors have knowledge and understanding of how boundaries are identified to help resolve the misconceptions that arise over the definition of a boundary between two properties.

  • Architect's plan

    Neighbour disputes

    In addition to boundaries and rights to light, neighbour disputes can occur over just about anything property related. Give us a call to discuss your problem.


    As practising surveyors we are able to give you an opinion on whether another surveyor has reached the standard expected of a reasonably competent surveyor.

  • Party wall

    Party wall surveys

    One of the key points to remember when intending to make alterations to a party wall or a boundary wall, or to build close to/on a boundary (up to a distance of 6 metres/20 feet away) is that it is vital to get expert advice as early as possible. Furthermore, you will undoubtedly need to formally notify your neighbour of any of your intentions - a requirement under the Party Wall etc Act 1996. By involving party wall specialists such as Croft Surveyors who are members of the Pyramus & Thisbe Club (an organisation for party wall practitioners), we can help you gain additional space for your development and help avoid unnecessary confrontation with your neighbours.

  • Office interior


    Dilapidations is the term used by solicitors and surveyors to describe the breaches of covenant and disrepair of a building for which the tenant is liable during their tenancy and/or when their lease has ended.

    We have extensive experience acting on behalf of both landlords and tenants and have found that timely and sensible advice can make a significant difference to the costs incurred.

  • Fire damaged shed

    Fire risk assessments (FRA)

    Under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order, any building with more than five employees now needs a written FRA . This requires a responsible person to undertake an FRA of the business premises they have control over. As fire risk assessors, we can assess your building and identify the risks as a whole before recommending any mitigating measures.

    We are frequently asked to undertake FRAs after people have taken inadequate advice. They come to us because we provide practical, no-nonsense guidance based on sound, professional building expertise.

    After completing an FRA, we can help you prepare and implement your bespoke Fire Emergency Plan and Personal Emergency Evacuation Procedures (PEEP) to ensure you meet your obligations.

  • Commercial building

    Reinstatement Cost Assessment (RCA)

    It is important that your building is correctly insured to cover the full cost of demolition and rebuilding. To ensure adequate coverage, an assessment of the rebuilding cost (known as a Reinstatement Cost Assessment) needs to be carried out by a surveyor. We can allow for specialist features, listed buildings and unusual sites to ensure that the right level of cover is achieved. The figure that the surveyor calculates should be the one for which the building is insured.

  • Industrial machinery

    Capital allowances

    We can work with your accountant to save you money by valuing your building and embedded plant. This can then be written off against taxable income. There have been many changes to the rules of capital allowances and you now need to elect a figure before you buy a property, so the accuracy of a pre-purchase assessment is extremely important. Small businesses should not miss the opportunity to offset expenditure on new plant and machinery and we can help them get it right from the outset.